Mauritius – Hidden Gems with Rodrigues Islands
₹140000 per person
Mauritius, officially the Republic of Mauritius, is an Indian Ocean island country, approximately 2,000 kilometres (1,100 nautical miles) off the south-eastern coast of East Africa, east of Madagascar. It includes the main island (also called Mauritius), as well as Rodrigues, Agaléga and St. Brandon. The islands of Mauritius and Rodrigues, along with nearby Réunion (a French overseas department), are part of the Mascarene Islands. The main island of Mauritius, where most of the population is concentrated, hosts the capital and largest city, Port Louis. The country spans 2,040 square kilometres (790 square miles) and has an exclusive economic zone covering 2,300,000 square kilometres (670,000 square nautical miles). Mauritius is one of the most densely populated countries in the world.
Mauritius Island (the main island) is 65 km (40 mi) long and 45 km (30 mi) wide. Its land area is 1,864.8 km2 (720.0 square miles). The island is surrounded by more than 150 km (100 mi) of white sandy beaches, and the lagoons are protected from the open sea by the world’s third-largest coral reef, which surrounds the island. Just off the Mauritian coast lie some 49 uninhabited islands and islets, several of which have been declared natural reserves for endangered species.
Mauritius Island is relatively young geologically, having been created by volcanic activity some 8 million years ago. Together with Saint Brandon, Réunion, and Rodrigues, the island is part of the Mascarene Islands. These islands emerged as a result of gigantic underwater volcanic eruptions that happened thousands of kilometres to the east of the continental block made up of Africa and Madagascar. They are no longer volcanically active and the hotspot now rests under Réunion Island. Mauritius is encircled by a broken ring of mountain ranges, varying in height from 300 to 800 metres (1,000 to 2,600 feet) above sea level. The land rises from coastal plains to a central plateau where it reaches a height of 670 m (2,200 feet); the highest peak is in the south-west, Piton de la Petite Rivière Noire at 828 metres (2,717 feet). Streams and rivers speckle the island, many formed in the cracks created by lava flows.
The autonomous island of Rodrigues is located 560 km (350 mi) to the east of Mauritius, with an area 108 km2 (42 square miles). Rodrigues is a volcanic island rising from a ridge along the edge of the Mascarene Plateau. The island is hilly with a central spine culminating in the highest peak, Mountain Limon at 398 m (1,306 feet). The island also has a coral reef and extensive limestone deposits.
Rodrigues, Africa’s most easterly point can be found surrounded by the Indian Ocean, 560 kilometres east of Mauritius and about 2,500 kilometres off the southeast coast of the African continent. Those in search of something offbeat and far from crowds will find it a fascinating, peaceful place to explore, with locals whose shy friendliness is genuine. Life there is refreshingly slow and uncomplicated. Add to that, tropical weather, pristine white sand beaches, friendly people, fab food and no package holiday, Rodrigues Island is the place to be in the Indian Ocean. Explore the quieter side of the Indian Ocean.
The trip takes us through Mauritius, a hypnotic blend of Indian, Chinese, African, French, and British influences, it is a dazzling Indian Ocean Island that enchants all who visit. Deservedly listed in the “World’s 23 best cities for Street Food’’ by CNN in 2016, a visit to Mauritius will not be complete without experiencing the local foods. It is a successful, multicultural society where the friendly co-existence of peoples and religion expresses itself in croissants for breakfast and curry for dinner and brightly painted Indian temples rubbing shoulders with churches and mosques.
This tour is an exclusive itinerary curated by The Vacation Studio, which showcases the natural wonders of the famous Mauritius island and the unexplored Rodrigues Island in one single tour. This tour includes some of the most amazing experiences such as the Traditional Octopus Fishing, Sail Traditional Fishing Boat, Traditional Basket Weaving, Traditional Rum Making Demo, Visit to the Seven Colored Earth, & its waterfalls, and the most sophisticated Michelin Acclaimed Litchi Wine Tasting experience.
Tour Duration11 Nights / 12 Days
Best SeasonMay to November
Cities CoveredMauritius & Rodrigues Islands
Tour CategoryTVS Exclusive
Day 01 - Arrival in Rodrigues at Sir Gaetan Duva
Day 02 - Explore Rodrigues (Samedi Dan Rodrigues)
Day 3 - Escape to Ile Aux Cocos
Day 4 - Route Du Terrier - Foodie Trip in Rodrigues
Day 5 - Experience Traditional Fishing
Day 06 - Day At Leisure
Day 07 - Coastal Walk - Rando Mer - Saint Francois, Truo D'argent, Graviers
Day 08 - Take a Flight to Mauritius
Day 09 - Explore Mauritius
Day 10 - Day At Leisure
Day 11 - Romance of the South Island
Day 12 - Departure
- 7 Nights’ Accommodation in Rodrigues Islands
- 4 Nights' Accommodation in Mauritius
- Meals included in Rodrigues: 7 -Breakfast / 4 - Lunch/ 7 – Dinners.
- Meals included in Mauritius: 4 -Breakfast / 2- Lunch
- Free Wi-Fi at Accommodation.
- Fully Guided Tours.
- 1 bottle of Mineral Water per person per day (When on tour in Rodrigues).
- Entrance Fees (As listed in the Itinerary).
- Airport Transfers at Destination. (See details below)
- Hourly Free shuttles are available as follows:
- Day 1: Airport to Hotel in Rodrigues: 12.00 PM to 3.00 PM
- Day8: Hotel to Airport in Rodrigues: 9.00 AM to 12.00 PM
- Day8: Airport to Hotel in Mauritius: 12.00 PM to 3.00 PM
- Day 12: Hotel to Airport in Mauritius: 9.00 AM to 12.00 PM
- Walk with Century-Old Giant Tortoises.
- Cooking Demo with Locals.
- Experience traditional living of the days gone by.
- Pristine Secluded Beaches, Bays, and Islets.
- Community-Based experiences.
- Age-Old Art Traditional Fishing.
- Part of the proceeds of this trip goes back to support Local Communities involved.
- International Airfare
- Domestic Airfare
- GST 5%
- TCS 5% or 20% as per Govt. Advisory
- Travel & Medical Insurance
- Optional Tours
- Guide fee, Camera fee & any monument Entrances
- Lunches & Dinners
- Anything not specifically mentioned under the head “Inclusions”.
- The Services of Vehicle is not included on leisure days & after finishing the sightseeing tour as per the Itinerary.
- Any changes you may choose to make during your tour.
- Additional costs due to flight cancellation, roadblocks etc.
- Tips of personal nature / Beverages
- Porterage at the hotels and airport
- Any Expenses of Personal Nature such as Drinks /Laundry/Telephone Calls/Insurance/Video/Still
- Excess Baggage/Emergency/Medical Cost